Happy Almost Galentine’s Day to all the lovely ladies taking the time to read this blog post! I hope you’re spending your day ordering yourself pizza, sobbing while watching The Vow, or maybe shopping online on Society6??
I say this because I didn’t know that you could feel such happiness from a purchase until my recent items from Society6 came in, specifically the one that sits behind my bed and reads, “All You Need is Sleep,” which makes me feel trendy and also reminds me that everything in life can be cured by crawling into my fluffy white bed and blocking it out by shutting my eyes.
But Society6 is an amazing site for so many other reasons besides the fact that it makes me feel like I have my shit together when I walk into my room at the end of the day (since their many tapestries cover my walls that have been torn at with command strips and tacks). It’s a site that is looking to empower artists around the world by helping them grow and promote their work since every piece you buy from the site profits the artist who made it, and literally, anyone can sign up as an artist.
From notebooks, stickers, duvet covers, mugs, throw pillows, backpacks, to tapestries, Society6 puts creative prints on almost everything. Recently, one of my friends from college @antsol (check out his work!) began selling on the site and gave me a couple reasons as to why it makes him feel empowered as an artist that I thought every shopper should hear. So after perusing my favorite Galentine’s Day prints, take a second to read about why Society6 is such an amazing site.
Why Society6 is Worth Your $$:
- The Artist’s Artwork Remains Their Own Artwork: Many sites that work with new artists buy the work from the artist, but on this site, the artist still owns their work and can continue growing their brand on other sites.
- They Promote Their Artists: It’s Like Bonus Marketing: Society6 has a large audience on platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. They spend time randomly promoting work from artists on their platforms, which provides publicity to a wide variety of buyers and viewers online. They also select artists to publicize in their magazines which means increased exposure!
- It Provides Incentives for Artists to Support other Artists: with the curator program, artists that promote other artists’ work get a bonus when someone buys from their referral. It makes even the biggest competitors allies.
- Artists Choose Their Own Commission: This speaks for itself. The site doesn’t choose the prices, the artist does!
- Everyone is Welcome: Anyone can join and sell on Society6, even you, you just sign up. It provides the opportunity for artists to grow and support one another.
I found all this info particularly interesting because I always think it’s nice to know where my money is going when I buy something. If I’m between buying two $15 prints from two different sites but one benefits someone who’s taking the time to build a business, I will probably feel more compelled to support them and buy their print.
So, this Galentine’s Day here’s to buying cute new designs, getting cuddly on a throw pillow with a boob print, and supporting one another.